Sling TV is launching a new feature that will allow Sling TV users to share their favorite programming with friends. For a limited time they can even if the said friends do not subscribe to the channels they are sharing. As part of the new SLING Watch Party a user can invite three friends to watch along with them and use video chat or text chat all via Google Chrome. In order for a person to share an experience with friends the friends have to have access to a free Sling TV account. So that means if you are a Texas fan with the full sports add-on package that includes the Longhorn Network you can reach out to a friend without it and watch the game together. While that does not replace going to the sports bar or piling on the the couch with your signature dip or chili it provides a way to cheer, yell at refs and other things at the same time. The new feature is a first for the live television industry. The free access will end on September 30th.
“We know that for so many, it’s not just about what you are watching, it’s who you are watching with. SLING Watch Party is all about bringing people together to share in the moments that matter,” said Jon Lin, vice president of Product, SLING TV. “We could all use more time together to enjoy our favorite sports and entertainment, which is why we created this amazing new feature.”
SLING Watch Party features
Key SLING Watch Party features include:
- -Video and text chat: Connect in real-time with other SLING Watch Party guests while viewing a program, via video or text chat.
- -Audio and visual controls: All participants have full control over their own video camera, the volume of their individual content stream and volume of video chat streams received from other participants.
- -Player controls: Slingers hosting a Watch Party can manage player controls, including play, pause and rewind for on-demand programming.
- -SLING TV programming: Choose from live or on-demand content available in SLING Orange, SLING Blue, SLING Latino and SLING International services, or any SLING TV Extra, depending on a customer’s current subscription.
Available today on Google Chrome web browsers, SLING Watch Party allows customers to invite up to three guests to enjoy shared TV viewing experiences, comparable to watching SLING TV and being on a video call with their favorite people on one screen.
How to host a SLING Watch Party
- -Sign in on sling.com via Google Chrome web browser.
- -Select any eligible live or on-demand title from a SLING TV ribbon; a Watch Party may be created up to 60 minutes prior to air time, for live programs.
- -Click “Create Watch Party” from the title’s information screen.
- -Invite up to three additional guests to join the SLING Watch Party via a unique, shareable link or email.
- -Click “Start Watching” when the selected title is scheduled to begin.
Through a special beta preview of SLING Watch Party ending September 30, 2020, invited guests may attend a Watch Party simply by creating a SLING TV account.