By Josette Downey
CES Las Vegas–A new line of TVs powered by the Amazon Fire TV ecosystem and interface made an unexpected debut at CES Unveiled last night. The new Amazon Smart TV interface is strikingly similar to the previously released Amazon Fire setup box in appearance and usability with just one added bonus: all the set-top box features plus antenna capabilities are now located in one Smart TV and interactive smart home hub. Now consumers can watch local channels via an antenna skipping the need for a third-party app, stream online media and tell Alexa to shut off their home lights with just one interface. The new smart TV interface hosted in models from Seiki, Element and Westinghouse 4K Ultra HD display brands TVs and Amazon states will give users an easy to use enjoyable experience.
“Smart TVs can be cumbersome and difficult to use,” said SungChoi, vice president of marketing, Tongfang Global. “Our new line of 4K Ultra HD Smart TVs – Amazon Fire TV Edition represent an
elevated customer experience powered by the highest performance processors in the industry, a unique voice-controlled remote control, and Amazon’s cinematic viewing experience. With Amazon Fire TV built-in and a voice remote with Alexa, access to movies, videos, music, gaming, and more is simple, easy, and intuitive.”
Consumers will have access to over 7,000 apps and games such as Netflix, HBO Now and Spotify. The Amazon signatures of Amazon Video, music and Alexa’s voice command system are also included in the device. An official release date has not been announced yet, but Amazon states the new TVs should be available for sale later this year on Amazon and other authorized retailers. The price will be announced closer to the release date.
How Do you Change the Channels?
This just an Amazon Fire TV it is an Amazon Smart TV. That means that users will have to be
able to access their TV channels somehow. The TV’s have a number of options to allow users to navigate. First of all there is a channel guide like something you would find with a digital cable package where the channels and programming are listed. If that isn’t easy enough, users can just ask Alexa to change the channel. They can specifically ask for say, channel 5, or they can say Alexa, change to NBC.
Key Features include:
• Sizes: 43”, 50”, 55” and 65”
• 4K Ultra HD 3,840 by 2,160 panel resolution on all models
• The latest Amazon Fire TV user interface, including easy access to over-the-air TV programming (separate HD antenna required), simple TV input setup, and component switching
• Through the included voice remote with Alexa, customers can search for content and programming, control TV inputs and settings, and access Alexa skills to play music, get the news, check weather, sports scores, and more
•Amazon Voice remote with Alexa enabled control of smart home devices from multiple brands, including Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, Wink, Insteon, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, TP-Link, Ecobee and more • Access to more than 7,000 channels, games, apps and Alexa skills, including over 300,000 TV episodes and movies from Amazon Video, HBO NOW, Hulu and more
•Like with the Fire TV, Amazon Prime customers get unlimited access to Prime Video, featuring thousands of movies and TV episodes at no additional cost to their membership.
• 3 GB memory and 16 GB internal storage • Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet connectivity • Streaming resolution at 4K Ultra HD (2160p), 1080p, 720p up to 60 fps • One-year limited warranty and great customer support
• Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet connectivity • Streaming resolution at 4K Ultra HD (2160p), 1080p, 720p up to 60 fps • One-year limited warranty and great customer support
• Streaming resolution at 4K Ultra HD (2160p), 1080p, 720p up to 60 fps • One-year limited warranty and great customer support
Amazon Channels Integration
Prime customers can take advantage of the Amazon Channels features to subscribe to HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, PBS KIDS, and over 100 more services and be billed directly through Amazon. They only pay for the channels they want—no cable required, no additional apps to download, and easy online cancellation. Once a customer has signed up for a service the TV will create a programming section that pulls together featured shows and movies from the services users have signed up for.
See a quick video take from The Streaming Advisor, Ryan Downey