USTV Now is an Internet based TV service that brings US network TV stations to people across the country and the world for free but unfortunately its Roku private channel for the no longer allows viewers to use the portal without first signing up for a monthly pay package. Today we are going to tell you how to watch USTV Now on a Roku without having to pay for an extra service. This is a great tool Americans living overseas and for cord cutters who live in a place where antennas are ineffective due to trees, buildings or distance from TV towers.
What Do you need to watch USTV Now on a Roku For Free?
- A Free account with USTV Now. Sign up here
- A Windows or Mac computer on the same computer networkas the Roku
- The Plex Media Server which can be downloaded here
- The Plex app for Roku (Available in the Channel Store) or click here or RareFlix for Roku (Free) here
- The USTV Now Bundle for Plex download here.
Instructions For Signing up for USTV Now
1. First go to the USTV Now website here
2. Select sign up either in the upper right hand corner or on the bottom left of the page
3. Select Free Plan
4. Follow the directions according to the instructions (To keep USTV Now from accessing your Facebook click the x in the corner of the Facebook picture and select clear form and fill the form manually.
5.confirm the email activation
How to do it
First Step: On a Windows or Mac computer download the Plex Media Server and follow the directions from the installation program. For more info on Plex see here
Adding USTV Now
After the Plex Media Server is installed you must add USTV Now to the program. There are two ways to do this.
One method is to download the USTV now bundle from Github
1. Click to download the USTV Now Bundle here.
2. Create a folder and give it a name you will remember. I call mine Plex downdloads.
3. Click the download and extract the file to the Plex download folder.
4. When you download USTV Now the folder will be called USTVnow.bundle-master. Edit the name of the file folder so that it reads USTVnow.bundle
5. Open Plex’s plugins folder. On windows this can be done by right clicking Plex in the task bar and selecting the Plug-ins folder.
6. Open the Plex downloads folder and copy the file called USTVnow.bundle
Past USTVnow.bundle in the Plug-ins folder.
7. Reset your computer
Once your computer reboots everything should be installed and ready to go
A more simple method
The Unsupported App Store Installer
The Unsupported app store is a group of over 70 Plex channels from independent developers compiled in to an app housed in Plex Channels One of the channels included is USTV Now. A clever developer has worked on a simple method to install this group of channels.
For our full article on the Unsupported App Store Installer click here
Once you have downloaded the Plex Media Server and the Plex app for Roku of your choice use the unsupported app store installer and you will be ready to install USTV Now. Do so by clicking on the Unsupported App Store icon and selecting “Video”
Scroll to the right until you see the USTV Now icon Press “OK” on the remote and “Install”Press the Home button on the Roku and re-open Plex .
Once Plex and USTV Now are Installed
Open the Plex USTV Now app go to the preferences and enter your user name and password
The Plex Unsupported App Store has a lot of different options that add tons of new functionality to Plex. The apps make Plex feel much more like the popular XBMC which does not have a Roku app and likely never will. Take time to explore the rest of the apps.
Do you watch Network TV online? Have you used USTV Now? What is your favorite way to keep up to date with your favorite TV shows online? Let us know in the comments section below.